Are you experiencing unpleasant surprise lurking on your walls? These are possibly the signs of mold. Mold are musty smelling microscopic organisms which thrive in moist conditions and grow when mold spores land in a humid and dusty area. Black mold is the most common type of mold. In this article you will learn how to remove mold from walls at home with some tips and tricks provided by our experienced specialists.
Mold can grow in exterior walls, interior walls and bathroom walls which provide a conducive environment. When removing mold you should wear gloves, dust mask and safety googles to prevent infection caused by mold.
Several ways you can remove mold from walls :
- Use a bleach-using a mixture of 1 cup water and 0.5 cup bleach, take a scrub brush and brush lightly until all mold signs disappear
- Use borax solution and a brush to scrub the affected part of the wall until there are no signs of mold on the wall. Don’t rinse off the mixture until the wall is dry to ensure complete removal of the mold.
- Use a vinegar or baking soda and scrub the infected area and leave the cleaner on the mold for several minutes before scrubbing it away to achieve best results.
What causes molding in walls?
Most common causes of molding in walls are condensation, high humidity and water leaks which is often hidden inside the wall. Walls have wall cavities which often contain moist air and pockets of humidity which provide a conducive environment for this microorganism to grow. Mold is caused by excess moisture in buildings caused by leaking pipes on walls, rain seeping in because of damaged roof onto the wall.
Safety tips on how to remove mold without a help from a specialist.
- Cut out the infected area –if you are unaware of the mold until the smell it is recommended to cut off the drywall. Dry brushing with wire brushing or sanding when you see the mold on walls surfaces.
- Expose the infected walls to the sunlight if possible. This will dry the moisture which is a conducive environment for mold growth.
- Dry –ice blasting but be cautious not to spread the byproducts into surrounding air.
- Damp wipe –by scrubbing with water from a non-porous wall and drying it quickly.
- Use a Vacuum dry cleaner to dry the infected parts since dry cleaner reduces the moisture which is vital for mold growth.
Products for mold cleaning on walls
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Detergent products
- Baking soda
- Tea tree oil
When a mold cleaning specialist is needed?
- When a mold is noticed too late and its affection is too great that no home ways of mold removal will be effective, then a mold cleaning specialist will be needed in that situation.
- When is difficult to remove mold from walls since you’re not familiar with the causes of it is recommended to call for a specialist to address the situation.
- Some chemicals for removing mold needs special handling from a professionalist therefore necessary for a specialist.
How to remove mold on carpets?
- Use anti-mold or anti-fungal Sprays. Pick the specific anti-fungal treatment designed for carpet cleaning to avoid discoloring the carpet. Spray the carpet with the anti-fungal spray and dry it after some minutes.
- Use carpet cleaning products such as Vanish detergent products that contain deodorizers which remove mildewy smell while fighting the mold.
- Scrub with white vinegar by applying keenly with a spray bottle and scrub using a stiff brush. Dry the carpet to avoid moisture that could replenish mold to grow.
- Use baking soda. These steps will absorb the moisture which is causing the growth of mold. Sprinkle the infected area of carpet and leave it overnight then blow dry it up.
What causes molding on carpets?
Flooding, high indoor humidity, extreme temperature changes and spilled liquids are the main and common causes of mold under a carpet. Mold develops when moisture, mold spores, and dust are present.
Humidity levels beyond 60% encourage mold growth. Flooding caused by water leaks from the water pipes under home carpet also increases the potential for mold growth.
Top tips on how to remove mold without the help of a specialist:
- Ventilate the room by opening windows and doors, and installing air conditioners in the room. Air flow will discourage mold growth as it reduces the humidity necessary for mold thrive.
- If your carpet is removable expose it to the sunlight by hanging it for about 2 days of direct sunlight. These help to kill mold.
- Remove the affected area of the carpet by cutting the damaged area to about 12 inch border on all sides to ensure total removal.
- Blow-dry using a vacuum dry cleaner to remove the dust and mold spores which causes the mold to grow.
Mold cleaning products for carpets:
- Baking soda products
- White Vinegar products
- Anti-mold or Anti-fungal products
- Deodorizers containing products
When mold specialist needed?
A specialist has greater experience when it comes to identifying different types of mold, as well as they have access to specialized chemicals and machines. If you have tried steam cleaning or any other way but mold are still dominating, hire a specialist to conduct dry ice blasting or another professional treatment.
What is water mitigation?
Refers to a process of preventing the amount of damage that water can cause on a surface after a leak or flood.
This is a very important process which controls the water invading our home since the water may contain varying degrees of bacteria, or carry large amounts of dangerous bacteria which may cause sickness or death. If water floods and leaks are ignored, it provides a perfect environment for mold and fungi to grow.
Steps by step general recommendations and why potential customers should choose Dryfast:
Dryfast is a specialized company with professional and skilled personnel who have made a great success with its services and make a great impact on people’s lives in dealing with mold.
Here are step by step recommendations why Dryfast is your first priority in mold remover:
Mold removal and Remediation. Dry Fast dry removal experts are qualified, trained and certified to offer a complete black mold removal services at affordable prices bringing back normal conditions of your house.
Mold Remediation: At Dry Fast we remove mold from walls and mold growth areas and properly cleans up aerosolized and settled mold spores by use of harmless and non-toxic chemicals.
Clearance and testing. Dry Fast clearance testing service provides certified laboratory documentation for builders, developers, contractors and homeowners and assists in future litigation.