Many a time, even very cautious people are unlucky and get involved in an accident inspite of all the precautions and preventive measure they take.
It is necessary to lessen your damage by claiming the property damage amounts. Be it a car accident or an arson attack on residential property, you must be aware of your rights and what steps to follow to mitigate the damage. You must be very cognizant of all the procedural tasks that are done to file complaints in activities as such. If you get involved in a car accident, you must follow the following guidelines for minimal damage.
1. It is important to first relocate to a safer place.
2. The next imperative thing to do is to get the name, address and insurance company information from the person involved.
3. Calling the police will save you from legal litigation and complexities in the future and may well help you in legalization of your claims.
4. It is important not to forget about pictures. These will be your most valuable proofs.
5. A wiser move is never to accept your fault at the time. Sometimes people get manipulated into admitting things which are not entirely their fault.
6. It is pertinent again to collect all documentary evidence at the scene of accident;be it in the form of pictures or any witnesses. More detailed and correct documentation will help you in earlier filing and reclaim of the damage.
7. The next step is to submit the claims to the car insurance company. It solely depends upon the person who you think was at fault in the accident. If you go ahead to submit claims to your own insurance company, you will be reimbursed enough to repair your car or get a cheque for market value.
8. Again if you have suffered personal injury too during the accident, it will be a wise decision to let your car accident attorney manage both insurance and personal damage claims.
Property damage are also confusing in the sense that you find yourself at loss to navigate through the whole mess. If your house accidently catches fire or gets run down by a severe flood or damaged by a storm, you find yourself at sea! Utterly bewildered to take the next step! It is important to be methodological in your approach towards dealing with a situation like this.
1. The first step will be to inform your insurance company about the damage. Until an inspection and examination is not done by the insurance company, it will be illogical to bring in repairing staff.
2. The repairs must be started after the go-ahead is given by the insurance company.
3. Steps must be taken to contain in further damage to the property. For example if there is residual fire still in the house, it is better to let firemen handle it at right time.
4. The next step is to relocate to a temporary shelter and not to throw anything away that has been damaged in the residential property. These form the substantial kind of evidence that helps you to reclaim the damage legally if the need arises.
5. A detailed assessment of the damage is essential to get complete view of the monetary damage. It will also help in rebuilding of the property after the initial tests.
6. Perhaps the best possible thing to do is to hire a professional who will help out in detailing your course of actions and at the same time will help you to get through all the legal formalities and humdrum.
7. It is important to remember that you don’t authorize your insurance payment to be made to a third party. Often such kinds of things happen because the affected part/person is under emotional stress and get carless about it. For example, the insurance company may insist on paying the repairers you have hired. It gets difficult to manage such kind of arrangement in future when the repaired item is not to your liking.
8. It is not advisable to start reworking on your house or damaged property until the insurance company pays you the amount according to the legal policy that makes it liable to pay you. Whether you spend the amount on home reconstruction or not, it is your matter altogether. But the settlement amount is to be paid by the insurance company in the stipulated after-emergency period. You can use the amount to purchase another property or reconstruct the same one.
It is better to be knowledgeable about these things then to let others dupe you into something entirely incongruous.